Greensboro’s Half Marathon: The Cannonball
Date: October 14, 2017
Races: Marathon (26.2 Miles),Half Marathon (13.1 Miles), and 5k
Location: Country Park, Greensboro, NC
Time: 8:00 am
Runner Guide: Download Runner Guide
Now in the 13th year, this event is a favorite of all North Carolina runners. 2016 will feature a full marathon and an updated half marathon course. We have seem blazing fast times but don’t be fooled the course isn’t a walk in the park. The race is also perfect for the beginner runner because of the gorgeous scenery. The backdrop for the race is Country Park which is a great place for the family to hang out listen to our live band while you run.
The event has 3 races including marathon, half marathon and a 5k. All race finishersget a custom medal, custom race bibs, and are welcomed at the finish line with live music and hot post race food. Sign up early to save some cash and guarantee your size of our custom race shirt.
Country Park is the host venue and I’m not going to lie has a few hills. The course is an out and back that crosses beautiful Lake Brandt. You will have views of Lake Brandt and much of the course is a closed greenway. The leaves are just beginning to turn in October so you won’t find a better backdrop.
Oct in North Carolina is usually perfect for running. Average October Temperatures: Low 47° / High 68°. But be warned heat can be an issue. Temps could be in the 80s
- Start – Water, sports drink
- 2 Miles – Water, sports drink (Porta John)
- 4 Miles – Water, sports drink
- 6 Miles – Water, sports drink, gel (Porta John)
- 8 Miles – Water, sports drink, gel (Porta John)
- 10 Miles – Water, sports drink
- 12 Miles – Water, sports drink (Porta John)
- Finish Line – Food and drinks galore
Half Marathon Pace Groups
We will offer the following pace groups to help get you to the finish line with a PR. Meet the 2014 Pace Team leaders! Contact Us if you are interested in leading a pace group.
- 1:45 (8:01 per mile)
- 2:00 (9:10 per mile)
- 2:15 (10:18 per mile)
- 2:30 (11:27 per mile)
- 2:45 (12:46 per mile)
- 3:00 (13:45 per mile)
Friday, October 13. 12:00 noon – 8:00pm (most vendors 4:00pm – 8:00pm)
Location: Omega Sports, 2431 Battleground Ave, Greensboro, North Carolina
- 6:00 AM – Park Opens
- 6:30 AM – Late Packet Pickup Opens
- 7:30 AM – Late Packet Pickup Closes
- 8:00 AM – Race Start Marathon and Half Marathon
- 8:30 AM – Race Start 5k
- 9:30 AM – Award Ceremony 5k
- 11:00AM – Award Ceremony Half Marathon
- 1:30PM – Award Ceremony Marathon
- 3:00PM – Course closes
This race will be chip timed with disposable bib-chips, We ask all athletes to wear their race number on the front and visible.
All Finishers will receive a custom race medal
Awards will be presented to the following categories:
- Top 3 Male and Top 3 Female in the Half Marathon
- Top 3 Male and Top 3 Female in each age group
- Age Groups: Under-19, 20-24, 25-29, 30-34, 35-39, 40-44, 45-49, 50-54, 55-59, 60-64, 65-69, 70+
- Race Director reserves the right to combine age groups.
- Race entry includes a custom designed gender specific race shirt.
- Shirts are Gender specific size.
- Register at least 2 weeks prior to race day to guarantee you shirt!
In the event the race should be canceled for reasons beyond the control of the Race Director or Race Committee (inclement weather or unsafe weather conditions; local, state or national emergency), refunds will not be made, but race packets, including race shirts, will be available at a location to be determined.
Rules / Guidelines
Sorry, but for safety reasons, we do not allow dogs, bicycles, inline skates or any means of transportation other than running, walking or wheelchairs. Running baby strollers are allowed but must have a minimum of 6″ wheels. Race Director reserves the right to reject any entry or to remove any participant from the race course without explanation.